Evidence-Based Herbal Medicine with Dr Sam Watts - 11th December
Atherley Bowling Club, Hill Lane, Southampton SO15 5DB
Doors open 7pm for a 7.30pm start. £7M £8NM
We are delighted to welcome back Dr Sam Watts to hear about yet another strand from his vast array of knowledge. Sam is such an engaging and inspirational speaker full of passion and enthusiasm for his subject, he is an expert in Ayurvedic medicine. For this presentation Sam will be sharing information with us about herbs and their uses to see us through the Winter months.
Evidence-Based Herbal Medicine: An Overview and Some Simple Take Away Tools
Herbal medicines have been used by indigenous cultures since time immemorial. Indeed, ancient Egyptian and Greek medical texts going back thousands of years make explicit reference to detailed disease management protocols using herbal blends.
Interestingly, herbal medicine has now entered a new dawn, with many Western countries now funding large clinical trials into the efficacy of integrating herbal prescribing into national health frameworks. This is already happening in the United Kingdom; for example, clinical trials are currently underway which are aiming to reduce antibiotic prescribing via the use of herbal alternatives.
As such, there has never been a better or more accessible time to learn about herbal medicines and how to safely and effectively integrate them into your self-care practice.
Over the duration of this interactive talk, we will:
• Overview how and why herbal medicine offers such powerful benefits
• Look at, discuss, smell and taste a selection of key herbs that every budding home herbalist should have available to them.
• Overview different approaches for using and prescribing herbs that can be quickly adopted and used at home, such as infusions, home made tinctures, herbal honey and herbal ointments.
• Discuss how to use herbs to treat a selection of common household ailments such as the common cold, sore throats, stress, insomnia, headaches and cuts/scrapes to name just a few.
• There will also be the opportunity to purchase a wide selection of loose organic herbs to get your home dispensary off to a flying start!
Please share with interested friends. All very welcome.